Hello and Welcome to my virtual table! Have a seat sip your coffee (or drink of your choice) while I share with you some of things that are happening on and around our table. Our table is so many times the 'happening place' at our house. We do so many things there. We color Easter eggs, decorate Christmas cookies, blow out birthday candles, do crafts, work on homework, share stories of our day at dinner, and so much more. We have laughed, cried and everything in between at the table.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

English Muffins

I was searching and searching for things to make at home that we normally buy and love when I came across a recipe for english muffins. I happened to find it on pinterest (I must admit I am a bit addicted to that site). I don't have the original site I got the recipe from. I have also made a few changes from the original recipe. So with out further ado I will get to the recipe.

English Muffins

1 cup warm water
1 pkg yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp)
1 c milk
2 TBSP sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 TBSP butter
 about 5 cups of flour (I use 2 cups of wheat and the rest all purpose)
corn meal
* dissolve yeast in water. Your water should be pretty warm but not hot.
*Combine milk, sugar, salt and butter and heat until the butter is melted (this should also be pretty warm but not hot)
*Combine yeast water and milk mixture Stir just to mix the 2 together.
*Add 3 cups flours (if using wheat then add 2 wheat and 1 all purpose) and beat that for about 2 minutes
*Turn mixer down to low while continuing to mix Add enough flour to make a soft dough. 
*Then dump your dough onto a generously floured surface dust the top of your dough with flour so it doesn't stick to your hands.
*Knead the dough for about 4 minutes adding flour when needed. Knead until your dough is smooth and elastic.
*Place your dough in a bowl (I use the one I mixed it up in) Cover with a damp towel and let rise for 1 hour
*Punch down dough, Turn out onto a surface generously sprinkled with corn meal
*let your rest for 10 minutes before continuing
*roll (I just use my hands and pat it down) your dough out to about 1/2 inch thickness
*using a biscuit cutter (or a glass which is what I use since I don't have a biscuit cutter) cut out your muffins.
Try not to leave to much trimmings because you can not go back and reroll your dough 
*place your cut out muffins onto a baking sheet (sometimes I just let them lay on the counter depends on if I need the space or not) Cover with a DRY towel and let rise for about 35 minutes
*Place on a hot griddle and cook for about 10-15 minutes per side
I use my electric griddle but I am sure you could do this on the stove. Do NOT grease or oil the griddle the corn meal should prevent any sticking.
*Split with a fork, toast in your toaster and ENJOY!

These keep in an air tight container in the refrigerator for about 3 days. Let them cool completely before putting in a container.
Below is a picture of the very first batch I made. I used all all-purpose flour in these ones. So if you use some wheat flour they will be a bit darker.


No comments:

Post a Comment